2019 Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes: May 2019

Meeting Minutes: May 2019



May 7th, 2019 – 7:00 PM


Present (16 of 19): Alex Eagleton, Ben Slager, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Dan Roe, Duane Nakamura Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, Stephanie Steiner, and Todd Cowles.

Absent (3): Molly Wagner, Darla Langdon, Chris Urquart

Via telephone none

I. Call to order:  Martin Buckley 7:00 PM

Jessie Kilgore offered his resignation from Council, which was accepted.

Duane Nakamura is newly voted onto Council. Duane was welcomed and introductions made.

II. Roll. Jeff Williams:  16 of 19 present at 7.00pm.

III. Martin review on Player recognition wrap-up.
Wrap up workgroup on player recognition. Molly to send the email out with the wrap-up.

IV. Todd Presentation of the Rave foundation.

A summary of the plans the Rave foundation is planning. A small discussion on the great things the Rave are planning to Lead, serve, and invest. We were asking how the council can get more involved and coincide with the mission of the board. A request for the rave group to get up information sooner than later to help up plan. Darla went over some historical notes. Todd would help us bridge the partnership. The alliance can help promote.

V. Update: Social media plan and next steps.
Nicholas is heading the charge of how we need to use our tools to educate people on what is the council involvement. We will need to recruit additional help when the fan base increases to 30,000 season tickets. We brainstormed ideas to help drive the hits to social media.
Ideas: monthly mention in a magazine, content to include blogs, twitter, looking for material to regularly get information to the alliance members.
We need to educate people on the Yearly business meeting, scarf vote, fan event. Using these contacts for self-promotion.
We are looking for ways to get fan feedback and ideas to recruit more involved members.

VI. Working session:

We decided not to comment on the new code of conduct at this time. There was an open discussion on how it would be related to fan experience. We mentioned what items could be brought to the council for consideration.

Some of the ideas for driving awareness:

Scarf vote jersey planning, questionnaire.Fan appreciation day has the alliance council hand out the maps for signature places.
3 people can post to twitter, Molly can gather items.
Smaller events for the season ticket holders, example first day of practice.
Cards in the seats, information at seats.
Commit to every game to take fan pictures.
Pin and Pamphlet in the fan experience box.
Identify the council at games, bring awareness.
Promote scarf, jersey, garth visit regular parts of being a council member.
Partner with Rave at a bowling event.
Guest blog on Twitter.
Birthday acknowledgments.
Membership cards in the box.
GM vote and planning.
Branding Cups, napkins.
Some mention in the nightly pregame.

VII. Owner Meeting with Adrian and FO May 11th.

We wanted to review how the council has developed and to what is in store for the council in the next 10 years. How does the alliance fit into the Sounders future plans?

Adjourn: 8:53 PM

2019 Meeting Recaps Meetings

Meeting recap: May 2019

Meeting Recap May 7, 2019

Louis Garcia

By: Carmen Hall

What potent blood hath modest May ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

A little later getting this in than normal.. so let’s take just a minute to appreciate that we closed out the transfer window with 2 new players (kinda… WELCOME BACK, JOEVIN) and are sitting 2nd in the West.  What is this… July??!

So, what did we do this month?  Glad you asked!

Clearing the Docket:  We closed out the Player Recognition workstream (for now) and sent out their final write up.  When the timing is right, we’re back on this like Brad Smith on Alberth Elis.

Making New Friends: Todd gave us a great presentation on the RAVE Foundation, their mission, and their current event calendar for 2019.  Whew, these folks are doing some awesome things out there using soccer as a medium and you should go check them out.  It would be really great if the Alliance Council could do more with RAVE and work together to help build that community – we’re hoping that Todd helps create that bridge for some partnership in the future.  No pressure, Todd.  We’re just watching you.

Let’s Talk About Us:  Our next chunk of time was spent talking about Alliance Council outreach.  See, we want amazing and diverse people to represent the Alliance Members and to do that we need to find ways to toot our own horn a bit.  We recognize that a certain percentage of the current Alliance don’t have the backstory on the creation of the Alliance so we need to work on getting better visibility into the Democracy In Sports concept in general.  If we get people excited in the Alliance, then we can get people excited about participating in Council.

Nicholaus runs this initiative as an At Large member of our Executive Team (aka: this is IMPORTANT) and helped lead the conversation including a roundtable brainstorm of ideas from the group for outreach opportunities.  We had a lot of ideas – some we’re already doing (spoiler alert… see you at the Fan Event this summer) and some that we need to work with the Front Office on to implement.  If we do this right, You Will Hear Us (see what I did there?)

One of the easiest things that we can do is to generate more, valuable content for this site.  It broke my heart a little bit to find that my recaps aren’t a big driver of clicks (I SWEAT OVER THESE THINGS, PEOPLE!) but I get it – who likes meeting notes no matter how they’re written?  So we’re going to work on doing better there.   If you DO happen to read this (HI MOM!) and have an idea on what sort of things you’d like to see leave a note in the comments below.

We wrapped up with a quick level set session for a meeting that we had with Club Ownership and Front Office folks before the Dynamo game on the 11th where we discussed the work we’d been doing with the Council of the Future.  We have some small working sessions to set up to keep that moving forward.  Stay tuned.

Schedule wise we’re looking at drought of home games until the end of June – pro-tip:  Scarves Up works from *wherever* you happen to watch our guys play.  You know what to do.

2019 Meeting Recaps Meetings

Meeting recap: April 2019

Alliance Council Meeting April 2nd 2019


By: Carmen Hall

Stepping into Spring, Ready to Take Care of Business

Hello April!  So much has happened since our March meeting – we had a time change, the cherry blossoms are… blossoming…, everyone came back healthy from the International break, and after a hearty game of bunkerball in Vancouver our Sounders are sitting on the best start in club history.  And we’re just getting this month started!

In the spirit of the season, the Alliance Council also sprung right back into business on the 2nd by focusing on wrapping up some loose ends from previous meetings and checking in with our workgroups.

First on our agenda was a read out from the jersey workgroup.  Prior to our Council meeting they had a working session with Taylor Graham where they walked through 2020 mock ups and talked about the feeling and vision for 2021.  We have a pretty quick turn around to get our thoughts back to the club and overall the feel from the group was that it’s starting to feel like we have a bit more strength behind our voices.  Time will tell how much influence any of us have when it comes to working with adidas and their templates and that includes the front office.  And no, don’t ask me any details about upcoming designs – I’m not part of that workgroup and the closest I got to that meeting was sitting near the pizza that was left over from their dinner.  BTW, I now have Opinions about the amount of green pepper should be on a pizza.  Opinions.

Next we continued our work on Future Council.  We locked in our North Star – you can read more here if you haven’t already seen it. We feel good about it and it’s something that we’ll be checking ourselves against as we look at how we make our plans and priorities.  After finishing our Vision, we talked about some possible organizational changes as the Council scales over the years – we’ve all been in those large meetings which are pretty terrible and don’t seem to bear fruit at the end.  Bigger isn’t better without a deliberate structure and set of expectations. Luckily, we have the time to test out some ideas and see if we’re getting the results that we want over the next couple of seasons.  This workgroup will continue to work on next tactical steps and bring back those recommendations to the larger team.

In the new business roundtable, Chris talked about starting planning for early 2020 season Inclusion activities such as World Autism Day that we missed this year and then we seeded the agenda for next month:  get updates from the Player Recognition, Youth Outreach and RAVE Foundation workgroups and start early planning the Annual Business Meeting (specifically talking about venue options that support a larger in-person audience and streaming if possible).

And we wrapped up a little early.  Which is probably good, because if you’ve looked at the schedule for April we all could use some extra rest – the Sounders still have 6 (6!!!!!) games to play in April including 2 (2!!!!!!) against LAFC in a week.  A WEEK!  Buckle up and strap in – this is going to be a crazy month.  Scarves up, Seattle!

2019 Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes: April 2019



2 April 2019 – 7.00 pm

Present (11 of 18): Lisa Angeles, Martin Buckley, Cameron Collins, Todd Cowles, Alex Eagleton, Carmen Hall, Darla Langdon, Jerry Neil, Ben Slager, Stephanie Steiner, and Chris Urquhart.
Via telephone (1): Daniel Roe.
Absent (6): Nicholaus Biela, Kelsey Gallo, Louis Garcia, Jesse Kilgore, Molly Wagner, and Jeff Williams.

I. Call to order – Martin Buckley

II. Roll – Cameron Collins: 11 of 18 Present

III. Update: Player Recognition – Molly Wagner
Tabled until next meeting.

IV. Update: 2021 Jersey Subgroup – Cameron Collins & Stephanie Steiner           
The jersey subgroup met with Taylor Graham, Seattle Sounders Vice President of Operations, to discuss the 2021 kit and adidas’ vision. The subgroup will be providing ideas to the Club on inspirations for the kit. If the larger Council would like to provide feedback, it can be submitted through Cameron or Stephanie.

V. Alliance Council Mission/Vision – Martin Buckley            
Council discussed the Mission Statement created at the March Meeting.  After review, it was adopted unanimously as below:

The Seattle Sounders FC Alliance Council strives to achieve the best fan experience in North American soccer and to build upon our historical foundation in order to preserve the Club we love.           

We do this by being the voice of the fan and by upholding the principles of Democracy in Sports.

VI. Alliance Council Future Structure – Martin Buckley

Currently, the Council is pretty well distributed throughout the Stadium, more so than the Council has ever been before. The question before the subgroup has been, “how does the Alliance Council work to be representative as the Council grows?” Doing so in a more strategic manner would allow for more information sharing, increased participation, and emphasis of areas of the stadium where representation is lacking. One suggestion to achieve this would be to have the equivalent of “Section Mayors,” where Council Members would represent the section where they sit. This model would allow for “at-large” members, such that there could be more than one representative from a specific section.

The group has also looked at different structures for the Council itself, including quarterly meetings for a larger Council and then monthly meetings for an increased-in-size Executive Committee.

Council will target the summer fan event to grow Alliance Council and get more information to and from the fan base.

VII. Other Business and Open Discussion 

  1. Away Game Travel: Alex Eagleton has continued to look in to the notion of allowing Alliance Members away game travel experiences. He will continue to research the topic.
  2. Inclusion: Chris Urquhart would like the Council to do something surrounding World Autism Awareness Day next year. Council agreed that this would be a great idea.

VIII. Adjournment

Moved. Seconded. Council votes unanimously to adjourn.

2019 Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes: March 2019



5 March 2019 – 7.00 pm

Present (15 of 19): Alex Eagleton, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Dan Roe, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Gilbert Ko, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Kelsey Gallo, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, Molly Wagner, Stephanie Steiner, Todd Cowles
Absent (2): Ben Slager, Chris Urquart
Via telephone (2): Darla Langdon, Jesse Kilgore

I. Call to order: Martin Buckley

II. Roll. Jeff Williams: 15 of 19 present

III. Working session: Alliance future state

Martin gave an overview of how the council started, numbers of Alliance Members and numbers on Alliance Council. The club goal is “to fill CenturyLink” by mid 2020’s.

The question is how Alliance Council is ready and adapting to this? Martin displayed the situation of where we are today. We created a map on where the current Alliance Council members are situated within the stadium.

We perceive there could be up to 50,000 Alliance Members in the next ten years. We want to be more representative in all aspects; demographics, stadium coverage.

Discussions were centered on several topics.

  • What is the Alliance?
  • are new fans aware of what the Alliance is?
  • are fans aware of the Alliance Council? What the purpose of Alliance Council is?
  • How do you join Alliance Council? What being part of Alliance Council means?

Discussion on Hurdles we are facing.

We have ten years of history and in looking to the future the discussion on what some of the challenges we are facing and how the Alliance and Alliance Council are perceived. We believe that the majority of current Season Ticket members do not have tenure back to 2009 – and we will need to work to educate them on being an Alliance member. We need to have the Season Ticket membership buy into the emotional part of being a fan.

We had a conversation on how we are interacting with the Front Office, positive and negative. One of the pillars of the front office is Community, and the Alliance is a large part of that.

A North Star.

Some workshop and discussion about “what is the Alliance” and “what is the Alliance Council” led to a need for a mission statement, or North Star, for the Alliance Council.

Key themes included:

  • looking forward
  • represent all Alliance members
  • help with the fan experience
  • enrich the fan experience
  • encourage the emotional hook
  • establish pride
  • speak with a unified voice on behalf of the communities we represent.

To help focus on this direction we wrote a draft of the mission statement:

The Alliance Council strives to achieve the best fan experience in North American soccer and to preserve the Club we love.
We accomplish this by being the voice of the fan and upholding the principles of Democracy in Sports.

IV. Other business

The summary of the Player Recognition project will be emailed to the Council for discussion next month.

The value menu did not show well enough and needs to have better placement, this will be passed to the Front Office team.

Adjourn: 8:58 PM

Addendum: Gilbert Ko submitted his resignation, and it was accepted.

2019 Meeting Recaps Meetings

Meeting recap: March 2019

Alliance Council Meeting March 5th 2019

By: Carmen Hall

cropped-ac-star17-logo-512px Julius Caesar was warned “beware the ides of March” by a soothsayer– I’m not sure that FC Cincinnati needed an oracle to foresee how their first MLS game might go but there are some things that, in retrospect, seem predetermined by the fates.  Whew, that was fun to watch! This month’s meeting on March 5th could be summarized as follows:
  1. We spent 2/3 of our time talking about the future
  2. Then we wrote the first draft of a Vision/Mission Statement for the Alliance Council
  3. We quickly covered the feedback we’d heard about the Value Menu – we’re passing that along to the Club along with some recommendations for better signage in the stadium to make it easier to find.
That’s it.  That’s what we did.  Technically my write up is done so indulge me and let’s talk about why we blew off the intended agenda to spend so much time in the ‘art of the possible’ space. First, happy 10 years in MLS!  That’s not just a milestone for the Club but for the Alliance as well.  And, as 10 year olds often do, we got slightly introspective and asked ourselves a variant of the age old question: What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up? Adrian has said that the goal is full stadium sellouts within the next 10 years; assuming that our STH ranks scale with that vision, we’re going to welcome a lot more Alliance members into the stands. We recognize that there is a need to evolve the Council to differently represent the Fan voice as the Alliance grows along with the Club vision. We had a really involved conversation on what we thought our opportunities were and, frankly, if we thought that change was attainable.  Generally speaking, we’d like to have Council representation better mirror the Alliance base, be stronger, and more visible.  But we need to define what that looks like and how to get there. Thus enters the Vision/Mission statement. We wanted a North Star – something that we could look at as we make strategic and tactical decisions and check our intentions.   We should be able to tie everything that we do back to the principles that we outlay in our Vision.   We came out of the meeting with an initial draft that we’re bouncing around in email a bit since we wanted some time to let it soak.  This is important, and we want to get it right. This was a really great working session and everyone was participating openly and respectfully as we discussed some hard topics with honesty.  And while everybody really contributed during this exercise, Louis and Todd helped the team think aspirational and Martin managed to herd all us chickens and keep us productive. Look for more on this as we keep working on it. I’m writing this on the morning of Saturday, March 9 – today we play Colorado and here’s hoping for another 3 points at home and staying on the top of the table.  Spring is coming, the days are getting longer, and it only snowed once this week so things are looking good in Soundersland – Scarves up, Seattle, let’s take them all!
2019 Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes: February 2019



5 February 2019 – 6.30 pm

Present (14 of 19): Alex Eagleton, Ben Slager, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Gilbert Ko, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Jesse Kilgore, Kelsey Gallo, Martin Buckley, Nicholaus Biela, Molly Wagner, Stephanie Steiner, Todd Cowles

Absent (2): Chris Urquart, Dan Roe

Via telephone (3): Darla Langdon, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia

Note: this meeting was scheduled for an early 6.30pm start. Roll was taken at 7.00pm.

I. Call to order: Martin Buckley

II. Roll. Jeff Williams: 14 of 19 present at 7.00pm.

III. Closed session with Garth Lagerwey, GM and President of Soccer: Garth spent time discussing multiple aspects of the forthcoming season with Alliance Council. Thank you to Garth for spending time with us.

IV. Working session: report back from workgroups

Our top collaboration areas with the Front Office will be around Jersey design, Scarf Vote, Alliance Council future state and Inclusion. Inclusion will specifically include areas around perceived affordability and sitting/standing.

JERSEYS. No update.

SCARF VOTE. No update.


INCLUSION. No update.

OUTREACH. No update.



ALLIANCE COUNCIL FUTURE MODEL. Workgroup will meet late February.


PLAYER RECOGNITION. Martin Buckley reported that this project to build a Hall of Fame is broadly supported by the club and Front Office – but the timing for funding and other investment is not right. For 2019 the club will be working on Ten Years in MLS with some specific MLS player recognition this year. Alliance Council will look to be included in that work.

The Hall of Fame/Player Recognition workgroup should meet to wrap up this workstream – with action items and a work back for a future year. Alliance Council will work with the Front Office to secure priorization for this – along with funding.

V. Other business: The club will announce their goal to become Carbon Neutral. Alliance Council recognizes this work and commends the club for their leadership. There is a planned Tree Planting event that Alliance Council have been invited to attend in late February.

Molly Wagner was noted for her work on social media, especially regarding the more human side of the Zulily kit sponsorship announcement.

VI. Adjournment: Moved. Seconded. Council votes unanimously to adjourn.

2019 Meeting Recaps Meetings

Meeting Recap: February 2019

Alliance Council Meeting February 5th 2019

By: Carmen Hall

Garth Lagerwey, GM and President of Soccer – and Alliance Council

Happy “wait, since when does it snow in Seattle?” February!

Before I start, here are the two things that I learned about The NINETY when we had our monthly Council meeting on Feb 5:

1) The codes to the bathroom end in * … not # like every other code that we seem to have in our society Just, you know, you have the opportunity to impress someone by getting it right the first time.

2) Bring a hoodie or something – that place is chilly. Awesome, but brrrrrrrr.

On to the meeting!

The first half of our time was spent meeting with Garth Lagerwey, General Manager and President of Soccer – you may remember him from that voting thing last year. While I won’t cover any specifics, I will make a couple of observations about the conversation. First, I marvel at what an opportunity that we, as the SSFC Supporter Community, have with the Democracy in Sports concept. The fact that we are able to have this sort of access to Club leadership is something that we should appreciate as part of the very unique fabric of our Club’s DNA. Secondly, Garth was personable, respectful, straightforward and very generous with his time. This meeting easily could have felt perfunctory – one of those “Ugh, I have to go do this THING with these PEOPLE” meetings – and yet it didn’t. That says a lot about who Garth is as a person and what the Alliance Council has done to foster those relationships over the years. It was great to see.

When Garth was finally pulled away, after a couple of pictures (damn, we’re a good looking group!) we got down to business – an update from some meetings with the Front Office, and then quick read outs from the working groups. On the working group front, most of us are still ramping up so we should start having more to talk about in the next couple of meetings – both Youth Outreach and Merchandising will be on the agenda for March and I expect we’ll see more get added in the next couple of weeks.

We had a big discussion around the current Hot Topic – player recognition. The Alliance Council working team has done an amazing job with some concepts that incorporate community participation in the process and we’re all really excited about it – the feedback from the Front Office is that we’re not aligned with their timing. So, while everyone agrees that recognition is something that’s important, the Council proposal is going to go on the back burner for just a bit. The working team is SO passionate about this that there’s no danger of this just fizzling out, it’s a matter of planning and keeping the pressure on. Keep an eye on this one – we’re not done here!

The last update was from Martin and Stephanie about how we strategically spend the time we get with Front Office representatives. This year, we’ll focus our “Club Time” on the Scarf vote and Jersey design, Inclusion (how do we make the game day experience more inclusive so that all feel welcome and represented) and the Alliance of the Future (how do we evolve, what role does the Alliance play as we move into our second decade in MLS). What this means is that these are the areas we’ll really press into and look for collaboration with the Club as we expand out our ideas.

At this point, we were all pretty cold (I might be projecting a bit) so we had a quick round table ending with a SHOUT OUT WHOOP WHOOP to Molly for k-i-double l- ing it on the socials. She did a fantastic job on the zulily reveal party and really caught some great moments of the guys being… themselves… before the event. High five!

That’s it! First games are right around the corner and, let’s face it, we’re all ready to see the Rave Green back in action. Season Ticket packages are shipping and they just announced some new budget friendly food options… it’s happening, Fam!

So, until the next time… Scarves Up, Seattle!

2019 Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes: January 2019



8 January 2019 – 7.00 pm
The Ninety

Present (15 of 19): Alex Eagleton, Ben Slager, Cameron Collins, Carmen Hall, Chris Urquart, Daniel Roe, Jeff Williams, Jerry Neil, Jesse Kilgore, Kelsey Gallo, Lisa Angeles, Louis Garcia, Martin Buckley, Molly Wagner, Stephanie Steiner

Absent (4): Darla Langdon, Gilbert Ko, Nicholaus Biela, Todd Cowles

Via telephone (0): None

Note: this meeting was re-scheduled, so is not counted for Council attendance.

I. Call to order: Martin Buckley

II. Roll. Jeff Williams: 15 of 19 present.

III. Welcome and introduction: Carmen Hall: She wants to participate in conversations about the experience, and to work with the bylaws and constitution. Welcome to Carmen.

IV. Working session – ideation and prioritization of workgroups for 2019:

Council discussed the priorities the we would like to concentrate in 2019. These areas of focus will be the working groups for 2019:

JERSEYS. Cameron Collins volunteered to head up the jerseys group this year. Past groups have worked with the Front Office and with short notice meetings. He would like to get a little more pro-active and have more influence if possible.

SCARF VOTE. Carmen Hall volunteered to head up the scarf vote this year. We have had successes in the past and would like to continue with the influence we have had. Martin Buckley offered to help with the online and Alliance Council voting piece.

CONCESSIONS. Alex Eagleton is heading up the workgroup, and some priorities are: diversification on beer selection, to work on a better choice of food in the Club area, and affordable meal packages.

INCLUSION. Chris volunteered to lead the workgroup to review and make recommendations on a broad range of inclusion issues such as sitting/standing, people with various disabilities and their matchday experiences, and affordability of the match day.

OUTREACH. Nicholaus Biela volunteered to lead the workgroup to focus on outreach. This will be done in conjunction with Molly Wagner and her focus on communications and social media. The goal is to increase the awareness and visibility of the Alliance Council and how the Council is involved with matters that impact the Alliance.

AWAY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE. Chris Urquart volunteered to lead the workgroup to look into a premium travel opportunity. Alex summarized the work that had been completed in the past – namely that for most away matches tickets are allocated to the various Supporter Groups through the Front Office and there had been little demand for a premium travel offering.

YOUTH OUTREACH. Todd Cowles was nominated to lead this workgroup to link the visibility to Council and maybe include links to new Club activities. Cameron Collins talks about the future and how the youth can contribute to the future.

ALLIANCE COUNCIL FUTURE MODEL. Martin Buckley and Jeff Williams will set up a workgroup to continue to investigate and make recommendations on Alliance Council future state. The workgroup will address questions such as what does the Council look like in 5 years to 10 years from now.

MERCHANDISE AND SIZES. Kelsey Gallo volunteered to lead this workgroup, looking into inclusive sizes and more. The group is exploring what kind of merchandise kids would like. Looking at extended size ranges – we’ve had requests for larger sizes for several years.

PLAYER RECOGNITION. Molly will lead this workgroup to continue the work on player recognition.

Some other ideas discussed but not prioritized include:

  • Survey to promote and find data
  • Create a group meet your neighbor
  • Grass v Turf: energy can be spent better in other areas
  • Ten years of The Alliance: content created from this project in 2018 will be posted to the Alliance Council website and added to over time.

V. Proposed Bylaw 12 – Voting Procedure for Executive Committee: Second Reading. Minor punctuation and typographical improvements were accepted. Section 12.2 – strike “nomination by the nominating committee” replace with “nomination by the election committee.” Unanimous vote for acceptance with changes. This Bylaw is accepted and incorporated into the Alliance Constitution and Bylaws.

VI. Opinion Statement honoring Sigi Schmid: Cameron Collins proposed an Opinion Statement honoring Sigi Schmid. After review and some light editing this was unanimously voted to be accepted. Kelsey Gallo and Molly Wagner volunteered to write additional language to support the Opinion Statement.

VII. Player Recognition:

There was a presentation from Molly Wagner and Kelsey Gallo on creative ideas for a Hall of Fame. The group would want to make a plaque per person that tells the story and playing history. There was a mock-up presented; it was received well as the direction for the presentation.

There was discussion on the nomination and approval process. A nominating committee and screening committee will be set up after the decision on how the members will be selected. It was proposed to create a board would form the selection committee. We want to determine how to accept a nomination and how to vote them in.

Martin Buckley urged that these ideas need to urgently be put in front of the Sounders Front Office to get feedback on whether the project is possible.  The plaque idea is the preferred design; The designs have been drafted but need more work. The workgroup will work over the coming weeks to bring the creative ideas and the process to a single, short presentation that can be used to gather support and gauge interest from the Front Office.

VIII. Other business: Martin Buckley and Stephanie Steiner have a sync call with the Front Office to align these workgroups and projects with the Front Office.

IX. Adjournment: Moved. Seconded. Council votes unanimously to adjourn.

2019 Meeting Recaps Meetings

Meeting recap: January 2019

Alliance Council Meeting January 8th 2019

By: Stephanie Steiner

The NINETY’S mannequins are ready for a rousing match of Shirts vs Skins
Image of mannequins, some with shirts, some without.
The NINETY’S mannequins are ready for a rousing match of Shirts vs Skins

Welcome new Council Member Carmen Hall!  Carmen reached her 25th vote about an hour before the meeting started.  We’re happy to have her.

Tonight’s meeting was about 2019’s priorities, what work groups we’d like to create, and our expectations for the year.  We spent a good hour in the conversation about how work groups work effectively and what causes stalls.  Many of the normal working teams are there for things you’ve seen in the past: scarf vote, jersey team, outreach, food &beverage, etc.  A blast from the past this year:  Merchandise – not limited to attire, but that could be a dominant focus and we’d like to have some youth feedback too. We are quite frustrated that sitting v. standing was flat-out shut down, and we think you are too. We’re looking to address this one differently.

We passed a bylaw that codifies how the voting procedures for the Executive Committee will work – nothing terribly exciting here, but it’s easier to do this than look up stuff in Sturgis.  Who am I kidding? It’s easier to do this than go find my copy of Sturgis.

We also passed a statement honoring former Coach Sigi Schmid, who passed away on December 25th, 2018.  The statement was penned by Cameron Collins (Thanks Cam!), and we’ll get it posted here on our site as soon as an introductory statement has been written. This is posted here. Please feel free to leave your memories and comments.

There’s progress regarding Player Recognition (Ring of Honor? Hall of Fame? Who to include? What are the limitations? ) Some very nice work has been done regarding the voting procedures (great work, Cameron) and the addition of visual references (way to go Kelsey Gallo).  Next the group needs to finalize it so that it can go to the front office for feedback and suggestions for moving forward.

That left us with a little time for open conversation and wrap up.  January 8th was a rescheduled meeting and does not count toward our attendance tally.